N Board Forum - Expanded Thread Page

Subject: Governor cap

[Back] [Return to Top of Forum]

Jessie Peterson    Posted 05-09-2020 at 07:53:28 [URL] [DELETE]        [Reply] [Email]  
  • Governor cap
  • 1948 8N - I have removed my governor as I am restoring my tractor and the seal was bad and had been leaking . Its all cleaned up and checked and seems to be fine as all parts are good. MY PROBLEM is that the other owner put a governor on it that has the tach hole and my tractor isn't set up for one. You would not believe the jerry rigging on how it was plug. I am asking if anyone knows a resource to finding a metal cap that covers that threaded hole. I cant seem to find one without buying a new governor.

    Jock(OR)    Posted 05-11-2020 at 00:21:10 [URL] [DELETE]        [Reply] [No Email]  
  • Re: Governor cap
  • It is properly called a tachometer drive cap (or cover), and is the same size and threads as the older speedometer drives. Years ago I had some that were WWII surplus from Continental aircraft engines. That supply has dried up now.

    In the short run, use a "Cap plug", which is a red plastic cone with a flange on it. They are available in all sorts of sizes, and are tapered inside and out. Find one that the internal taper will slip onto your tachometer drive threads.

    I believe the aircraft caps are still available, but the price is over $20.00!

    Tom    Posted 05-09-2020 at 08:01:35 [URL] [DELETE]        [Reply] [Email]  
  • governor
  • The replacement governor I bought a few years ago came with the screw on collar for a tach drive cable with a steel disc in the center of it to screw on where the tach cable mounts.

    [Back] [Return to Top of Forum]