N Board Forum - Expanded Thread Page

Subject: pto pulley attachment

[Back] [Return to Top of Forum]

Jon C    Posted 07-21-2020 at 08:05:29 [URL] [DELETE]        [Reply] [Email]  
  • pto pulley attachment
  • Good morning, Have a new to me Dearborn cordwood saw. It came with the pulley attachment and the little clip for the saw. I guess there must be gear oil or grease inside the right angle drive? The manuals specifically say "pto power pulley not part of saw". Questions:
    Is there a manual for the pulley drive?
    What (where) goes in it for lubrication?
    Thanks, Jon

    Dave( ok)    Posted 07-23-2020 at 06:52:23 [URL] [DELETE]        [Reply] [Email]  
  • Re: pto pulley attachment
  • It is listed under accessories. Lubrication with grease gun.

    Larry Holbrook    Posted 07-24-2020 at 06:41:12 [URL] [DELETE]        [Reply] [Email]  
  • Re: pto pulley attachment
  • I ran one of those for many hours when I was a youngster. Make sure you wear hearing protection. I had to get hearing aids when I turned 60 and I think part of it was the hours spent running this. That blade screams!!

    Tim Daley(MI)    Posted 07-22-2020 at 05:55:27 [URL] [DELETE]        [Reply] [No Email]  
  • Re: pto pulley attachment
  • The Dearborn Cordwood saw uses the Ford Belt Pulley to operate. It does not use a standard top link. The Belt Pulley has a link bracket attached to the top of the pulley which attaches the saw 'wishbone bracket' as the top link. The Belt Pulley instructions are in both the OEM Operator's Manual and the I&T FO-4 Manual. The OEM Dearborn Assembly & Operating Manual has the set up and parts list. The latter is here in our MANUALS forum for free download and you need to get all the rest as shown if'N ya wanna be an N owner. New belts can be found at WELTON -see our LINKS forum or click here. You can also check your local AG dealer like JD, CASE/IHC, and CNH as they may be able to supply you with a belt. The Belt Pulley is mounted on the tractor so the pulley operates on the LH side, NOT the RH side see pictures. Best to get all the manuals and read first before operating so you know what not to do. The saw was designed so you could raise the 3-PT when mobile. Note saw has 2 legs to assist when in use and when detached.



    Tim Daley(MI)

    Tim Daley(MI)    Posted 07-22-2020 at 11:56:33 [URL] [DELETE]        [Reply] [No Email]  
  • Here's the LINK from our MANUALS forum. You can also get the parts catalog there as well.

    Tim Daley(MI)

    Dean    Posted 07-21-2020 at 08:13:33 [URL] [DELETE]        [Reply] [No Email]  
  • Re: pto pulley attachment
  • Use 90W gear oil in your PTO pulley.

    Not sure about Ownwer's Manual. Check the Manuals link above.


    Jon C    Posted 07-21-2020 at 11:24:28 [URL] [DELETE]        [Reply] [No Email]  
  • Re: pto pulley attachment
  • Any idea where to get a new belt?

    Ultradog MN    Posted 07-22-2020 at 05:48:18 [URL] [DELETE]        [Reply] [No Email]  
  • Re: pto pulley attachment
  • Flat belts were getting to be a thing of the past but now all the big round balers use them to wrap the bales. You should be able to find a used one off a baler at a bone yard or buy a new one at most any implement dealer. I'll bet a dealer could even cut and splice one to the right length for you.

    Dean    Posted 07-21-2020 at 11:39:04 [URL] [DELETE]        [Reply] [No Email]  
  • Re: pto pulley attachment
  • I sold two buzz saws with belts and blades a couple of weeks ago and have no more belts but there are still folks around that make them.

    Amy Amish in your area?


    Jon C    Posted 07-23-2020 at 06:30:47 [URL] [DELETE]        [Reply] [No Email]  
  • Re: pto pulley attachment
  • Thanks for all the great replies. I think I have a handle on the saw itself. Some confusion on the tractor power pulley.
    I see some are covered with rubber;
    some are bare steel;
    some are covered (were covered) with a paper substance.

    Mine has intact remains of rubber which seems probably useable, so that's what I'll do. But I'm curious about the power pulley (seems like it should have a manual somewhere). It is mentioned as an optional item with some guidance in the tractor manual but not a word about it's mechanical properties and needs, covering or specifics.

    I found an outfit who still applies the paper drive pulley coverings and actually lists these by name in their offerings on-line.
    Maybe I'm over thinking this.
    Thanks again, Jon

    [Back] [Return to Top of Forum]