N Board Forum - Expanded Thread Page

Subject: Pulling trailer and wood splitter

[Back] [Return to Top of Forum]

Kimberly    Posted 02-11-2021 at 00:34:46 [URL] [DELETE]        [Reply] [Email]  
  • Pulling trailer and wood splitter
  • What set up can I use to pull a trailer or a wood splitter behind the tractor? I know there is a drawbar assembly. I have the plate bolted under the tractor but not the part that bolts around the PTO shaft that limits the side travel of the drawbar. How does others handle pulling trailers and such with their tractor?

    Kimberly    Posted 02-11-2021 at 09:29:17 [URL] [DELETE]        [Reply] [Email]  
  • Thanks Guys, much appreciated
  • Thanks guys. I heat with wood and have acquired a splitter (no trailer yet) and plan on taking the splitter into the woods to splits the rounds.

    Tim Daley(MI)    Posted 02-11-2021 at 07:02:27 [URL] [DELETE]        [Reply] [No Email]  
  • Re: Pulling trailer and wood splitter
  • If you have the OEM Ford 8N-802 Clevis Bracket, it won't work with the newer aftermarket swinging drawbar style. All 8N's came with the 802 Clevis but not with the Dearborn Swinging Drawbar -that was a dealer optional accessory. Same with the Dearborn Vee-Bar - only an option. With both these bars you need to use in conjunction with the OEM 9N-5182 11-Hole Drawbar. If you don't have a Vee or Swinging Drawbar, you could invest in the aftermarket style as shown in your ebay link. It was a Ford design replacing the Dearborn Swinging Drawbar beginning in 1953 and is a better design because it doesn't have to be removed when needing to attach a plow or other 3-pt implement. What I suggest you use to pull a trailer is the 11-Hole Drawbar and the Dearborn Vee-Bar with the OEM STAY BARS (see picture) and fasten a trailer ball mount on the Vee-Bar point. The Vee-Bar has 'J' Hooks to keep the 11-Holer from spinning around. If you use the STAYS and the 11-Holer, you will need a Greene Mfg. Drawbar Lock. Both the Vee-Bar and Greene lock are made and sold by RED ROCK MFG. The STAY BARS will keep the height of everything set at a constant (18" typical) and the lock will keep the drawbar from wanting to flip over. FWIW & FYI, you can get the STAT BARS, 11-Hole Drawbar, and aftermarket Swinging Drawbar kit at local tractor AG suppliers and other reputable suppliers other than ebay. May be cheaper as to avoid shipping charges. It matters where you but from. You can also get STABILIZER BAR KITS there too, though not shown here.




    Tim Daley(MI)

    Kimberly    Posted 02-11-2021 at 01:02:02 [URL] [DELETE]        [Reply] [Email]  
  • Re: Pulling trailer and wood splitter
  • OK, I see this is what I need: I have the part that bolts up under the centre housing. I need to get the other parts.

    TheOldHokie    Posted 02-11-2021 at 02:37:33 [URL] [DELETE]        [Reply] [No Email]  
  • Re: Pulling trailer and wood splitter
  • No - for an 8N you need the SDA6 kit.


    That replaces the part you already have and includes the drawbar and PTO hanger.


    [Back] [Return to Top of Forum]