Posted 03-25-2017 at 11:30:33 [URL] [DELETE]
[Reply] [Email] |
Lathe project done and ready for work
A good paint job is way to much work with no improvement in performance so I didn't bother with it. And I don't know what the original color should be. Sure does run smooth and all my cuts are within my goal of .0005".
It came with a 3" 3 jaw scroll chuck that was a real bear to adjust. I took it apart cleaned it put the jaws back in the correct position and now it works freely and spins true.
Next I found an adapter to change from 1 1/2"x 8tpi to 1" x 10 tpi. Machined a new back plate and now I have a 5" three jaw scroll chuck for larger work. I have two sets of jaws for inside and outside holding so much more variety.
Then I machined another back plate this one for a 4" E32 collet chuck. I use this to hold the end mills when I use the milling attachment.
IT's been a fun little project cleaning and repairing this vintage machine. I made the #14 spanner I was missing as my first project with it. Turned a few pistons into parts dishes. Feels funny working with the mill since you have 3 axis' to worry about now not just X and Y. FUN!!!