Re: Starter and timing problems

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on August 19, 2017 at 05:14:43 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Starter and timing problems posted by Tinkerer60 on August 18, 2017 at 12:28:56:

Tink-
When making a post like this, it is always a good idea to let the reader know up front what it is you are talking about as far as make, model, year, and any other pertinent information regarding your subject, regardless if you listed it in a prior post. We all don't read every post let alone remember what each person was asking or what tractor they have. I rarely do this, but I just scrolled down the entire N-Board going back to July 1, 2017 and did not see anything you posted prior so once again please tell us the vital details so we can better help diagnose your issues. Model year and make is important, if one was to assume anything, we can surmise you have a vintage Ford ergo why you're on this board, so is it a 9N, 2N, 8N, or NAA model, and does it have a front mount distributor or side mount? Is it 6-volt/positive ground with a generator and voltage regulator/roundcan cutout, or, if it is a 12-volt 'conversion'? I use that term loosely because I have seen in my shop, and read here, of so many 12-volt conversions done improperly which usually turn out to be the true root cause of the tractor's failure to start and/or run. Starters don't care if 6 volts or 12 volts and not causing your backfiring issue nor busting the Bendix drive. You could have something wired incorrectly, or something not set correctly (points) -see LINK below to JMOR's Wiring Pictograms and download/save a copy to keep handy for reference. He ha s shown detailed sketches of complete with pictures, every possible CORRECT way to wire these old N's. My next question would be where are you getting these starters from? The original parts on these old Ford tractors are made to be rebuilt -starters, generators, water pumps, governors, carburetors, distributors, hydraulic pumps, plus many more and ALWAYS is the better choice rather than buying something made 'new' that mostly comes from Cheena where Quality Control is a foreign language.

Regards
Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]