Re: Runs great, looses power under load

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bruce (VA) on August 25, 2017 at 08:38:14 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Runs great, looses power under load posted by Sean Kelly on August 24, 2017 at 21:27:35:

Wow.

I can't think of a better way to get a poorly running tractor than to change all of those components at the same time.

They all not only need to work correctly, they need to work together.

I'll assume you bought the carb, distributor and governor new and did not have your oem parts rebuilt? Iíve been working on old cars, trucks & tractors now for over 50 years. Whenever possible, I get OEM component parts rebuilt. Given the high probability that any new component part purchased for an N tractor is made somewhere overseas w/o adequate quality control, chances are very good that you will be disappointed. If indeed all 3 components are new, I'd say the odds are 7 out of 10 that at least one of them is paper-weight quality.

So, mistake #1: replacing all components at once

Possible mistake # 2: buying new parts rather than having them rebuilt.

Possible mistake # 3: Failure to adjust the components.

Some things to check:

Firing order (1-2-4-3, CCW)

Governor adjustment (per the I&T FO4 manual)

Carb adjustment

Points gap & timing. (did you set the gap and check the timing before you installed the distributor ?)

Post back w/ questions or results, pls.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]