Re: idle mixture trouble

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony on August 31, 2017 at 01:51:53 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: idle mixture trouble posted by JohnB on August 30, 2017 at 20:24:27:

You are on the right track.

You used copper or steel wires not resister wires didn't you?

You might want to check the carb and manifold bases with straight edge and true them with a flat plate and Emory. Not as big a problem on tractors as both are cast steel, not alloy or pot metal but they can get deformed over the years from gorilla tightening. Same for intake manifold leaks. THe starting fluid BraKleen, AquaNet test around the manifold will confirm any vacuum leaks in those areas

If you didn't kit the carb at least replace the idle adjusting screw. Not a"known to be good" screw, a new one. It may look good but not seal. It's brass and the threads wear allowing an unbalanced condition. That is the reason a new screw is included in a kit. Same for a new throttle shaft.

Check compression. You may have a valve beginning to ride causing a misfire at idle. Unlikely but possible. Checking clearances requires a fair amount of effort however.

Last point and probably the reason I'll get flamed:

It's a farm tractor with an updraft carb. Not the most efficient induction system. If it makes good power, transitions from idle to power with no issue, doesn't stall and starts quickly why be concerned?

I have a 2n and a Jubilee along with a JD M. Maybe I'm just used to the pop!, bark!, pop!,pop of the JD to worry about a fuzzy idle from my FORDS.

Tony

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]