Re: Passing of A Ford Lover

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dean on September 29, 2017 at 14:45:54 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Passing of A Ford Lover posted by Tim Daley(MI) on September 29, 2017 at 08:47:40:

Thanks, Tim.

My friend did not work for Crosley but his high school sweetheart did in the early 1950s while she was waiting for him to return from the Korean war.

FWIW, my Father, born in 1904, worked for Crosley during the 1930s. He was fortunate that Crosley was a closely held corporation and that Powell Crosley did not believe in borrowing money. As a result, he survived the great depression relatively unscathed and my Father had a good job throughout the depression.

My Father knew Powell Crosley on a first name basis and occasionally attended events at the Crosley summer retreat on South or Werk (?) Road, in what was then the country west of Cincinnati. When small, I remember my Father pointing out the then over grown property (tied-up in estate suits) and telling me that he attended Christmas parties there in the 1930s. I well remember him talking about the Duesenberg sitting in front of the house. Powell Crosley owned two Duesenbergs.

In the late 1930s, Crosley built a plant in Kokomo to make automobile radios. Subsequently, he sold this plant to GM to raise money for his life time ambition, that being manufacturing automobiles. My Father was sent to Kokomo to facilitate the sale of the Kokomo plant to GM. Apparently, GM liked him because they offered him a job in 1939, which he accepted. He worked for GM until he retired thirty years later in 1969.

My Father always spoke well of Powell Crosley as did my neighbor's wife.

Dean

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]