Re: 2N charging system (again!)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on October 10, 2017 at 09:03:17 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: 2N charging system (again!) posted by Steve Frysinger on October 10, 2017 at 08:08:00:

Steve-
My guy rebuilds starters and generators in a day and I get them back in 3 or less. He is a Ford guy and stocks a lot of the essential parts -armatures, field coils, brushes, and all the hardware. If you want him to rebuild yours, email for details. What does ca. mean? calibrated? HHHMM. A digital meter will have a digital readout screen. An Analog meter has a multi-scale window with a needle. You 'polarize' when battery is connected, but no power is applied (do not run tractor)using the crosswire/arc spark method. Polarization isn't the problem here. As soon as power is applied to the generator it becomes polarized, whether positive or negative. Don't get yourself confused either with amount of wires and brushes. A 1-wire connection designates it as such and has nothing to do with whether it is a 2-brush or 3-brush unit. SEE LINK below to my article on the 9N and 2N generators. If it is a 3-brush generator, it will have the adjustment screw on the back end plate and I suspect it does. Do you see a screw terminal with an ARROW? I'm not sure if the new aftermarket ones have it or not. Get a good battery. Never use a "DEEP CYCLE" battery on these old tractors -not what they're made for. If not a good brand like DEKA or Interstate, if it is bargain house brand, chances are if 2 years or more old, it is junk. I just worked on a guys tractor that had a 'new' battery he purchased from a popular auto parts franchise in August, 2016, and he swore it wasn't the problem why he couldn't start. Guess what? It was junk. Water levels get low, battery freezes in winter, battery bloats, plates become junk. Get a copy of JMOR's WIRING PICTORGRAMS downloaded and go thru all the wiring as I said with battery disconnected. The AMMETER may not be wired correctly. Is it the original LOOP/INDUCTION style or a later aftermarket two-screw terminal style? Don't buy anymore parts -need to determine the true root cause of the problem. Don't make any generator adjustments -let your starter shop guy tweak it all. Take generator, cutout, ammeter, and battery to him and he will bench test all fast, easy, and usually at no charge. If he doesn't know about old Ford stuff, find another one who does. I can send you the specs but they are in the manuals. While he tests your stuff, go thru ALL the tractor electrical wiring and see if there is some info in my article you can use...

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]