Neighbors Auction

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dean on November 11, 2017 at 18:21:52 [URL] [DELETE] :

The auction of my friend and neighbors (mostly) Ford collection was today. I attended but made only a single bid and bought nothing.

Since my earlier post, the family changed auctioneers (a better choice, in my opinion, but still not an antique tractor guy) and a couple of fellows from the local antique tractor club, where my neighbor was a long time member, spent hours working on his tractors and were successful in getting three running.

Most were given away and some folks will make good money reselling.

39 9N, SN in the low 1800s, with 4 new tires and tubes, not running but not stuck and can be running with little effort sold for $700.

50 8N, stuck (probably valve guides), with 4 new tires and tubes, which my neighbor had owned since 1955, about the same.

1944 2N, not stuck but not running with 4 new tires and tubes, IIRC, around $500.

1959 871D SOS, running and 4 new tires and tubes, $1,500 (more than I expected). FWIW, I helped the buyer load this as he knew nothing about SOSs and I needed to reconnect the traction disconnect, which I had disconnected for the family in order to pull it out of the barn about 3 weeks ago.

1963 4000 utility gasoline running (well) with 5 speed, PS, and live PTO, $1,900, IIRC. As with all of the others, 4 new tires and tubes (rears 14.9s). I considered buying this one (probably should have), but do not need projects and did not bid.

1948 or 49 Farmall Cub, 4 new tires and tubes, hydraulics, and F & R weights. Not running, $700. I know the history of this tractor. It is low hour and in very good condition but the gasoline tank, sediment bulb and carburetor are full of old gasoline, rust, etc. Considered buying this one as well but did not bid. Probably should have, but I'm not a Farmall guy.

Late 50s-early 60s 841 light industrial with fully hydraulic FEL, subframe back hoe, Sherman combination, PS, front weights, 4 new tires and tubes (6.50X16 fronts and 16.9X24 rears). The farm club guy had gotten this one running with an auxiliary fuel tank, and it sounded very good and held 60 PSI hot oil pressure at somewhere around 800 RPM. This one sold to a friend of a friend for $2,500. The buyer was a very young guy and had no idea what he had bought. I explained the Sherman to him (he hadn't a clue). I expect that the tires and tubes on this one were worth $2,000. Should have bought it but don't need projects.

Cannot remember what the 1927 Fordson (four new tires and tubes on cutoffs), not running but I have heard it run, or the Worthington, stuck (probably valve guides) brought.

Folks, this is the auction that I would have liked to have attended 15 or 20 years ago.

Dean

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]