Re: 39 9N for sale

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles Krammin on December 03, 2017 at 22:27:50 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: 39 9N for sale posted by AL CT on December 03, 2017 at 13:38:23:

My first tractor was a 39 9N. I even looked real close as ours smooth axle broke while slip scapping gravel out of lake Michigan. Did you ever change out an axle in 1 foot water and water sand, with loaded tires and inside rim wheel weights. Brothers leaned tire upright on fender and when reinstalling, left the tire leaning against fender and put the axle in. Had to later pull axle and do it right so I could have wide wheels for cultivating.
The tractor has many signs of a true 9N (aluminum dash, starter button on left, smooth axle one side, snap in hood cover, large governor, top link, cast front axle support, rounded air filter cup 8N grill). These early 9N,s had no safety starter switch. Left brake pedal, were tied to clutch pedal and was a real pain as you couldn't hold clutch and brake at same time. a left hand brake , worked better.
My plow didn't have the blade spring, but I prefabbed one from a truck plow. Mine came with the solid tilt braces for bulldozing. I don't see those on this snow hook up. Check the rear mount under the fender , as the front side braces should be by the cable pulleys. This one is back 6 inches, indicating a prefab back mount. Also see if the rear fender mounts have a depth/transport chain, or you won't be able to plow unfrozen ground The skids for the blade are useless as they are mounted on the spring tilt blade and not solid frame . The lift cables to the front axle should go straight up (not at an angle). The blade is a snow blade, with the springs. Even with the side braces right I still broke rear of frame, pushing 16" trees, with loaded tires and chains.
Conditions of tractor aluminum gear shift pin and rear axle and rear seals and engine might indicate the mechanical condition. The plow , as is, can be fixed but only added value of $350 Tractor is priced right for a early 9N.
Charles Krammin

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]