Re: Extra Hole on the Dash

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on December 14, 2017 at 07:55:45 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Extra Hole on the Dash posted by AL CT on December 13, 2017 at 23:30:19:

HiYa Al-
Yes, touché, any extra non-original hole in the dash or anywhere could have been done for any reason. Maybe the farmer had a cigar lighter installed there when they became a new accessory with the 8N, who knows? I was pointing out that lighting kits all came with an instruction sheet showing exactly where to mount the light switch, BUT, many farmers just purchased the kits and installed the lights themselves and put the switch wherever they wanted to. Dealer mechanics also did this -whatever was fastest and easiest. The original lighting kit for the early 9N has the switch mounted at the 5 O'Clock position from the IGNITION ON lamp on the dash. I'm not 100% certain, but I think the 9N dash came pre-drilled, maybe later ones. The 9N Light Installation sheet does not specify if a hole needs to be drilled; it only shows the location to mount the switch. According to the installation sheet for the early 8N ( '48 - '50 ) the light switch was to be mounted on the RH dash lower portion under the voltage regulator with a special plate. Today's aftermarket VR's also have that plate for the switch available too. In 1950 when the distributor was changed to the angle (side) mount style and the generator moved to the left side, the lighting kits then included the switch template to move it to the left side dash panel at 7 O'Clock from the ammeter. It shows to mark and drill a 13/32" hole to mount the switch in. At the same time as these changes occurred, the headlight 'winged' medallions were then changed to the Round Cup mount style, and the hoods now only had one punch-out for headlight mounting. Years ago Al, you sent me some decals for the Rest-O-Ride seat. Now I can return the favor. If you would like copies of the lighting kit drawings, email me with your address and I will send you a set.
-Tim

EARLY 9N DASH PANEL:

1948 – 1950 FORD 8N LIGHTING KIT INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

1950 – 1952 FORD 8N LIGHTING KIT SWITCH TEMPLATE:

8N LIGHT SWITCH MOUNTING POSITION LH DASH AFTER MID-1950:

EARLY 8N LIGHT SWITCH MOUNTING, RH LOWER DASH OFF VR, 47-50:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]