Re: 1941 - 9N

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave Smith on December 17, 2017 at 15:48:05 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: 1941 - 9N posted by D Baethge on December 16, 2017 at 16:11:45:

I am not very good at explaining things. So if you have any questions just ask.
I had problems with my 41 9N running hot with Pertronix Ignitor. I had the radiator cleaned and was sure the block was clean inside the cooling system. It still ran hot mowing lawn. I spent the money
for a new 4 row radiator and it still ran hot. Then a buddy of mine reminded me of the model T
Fords. They had a spark advance lever on the steeling column. You retarded the spark for starting
(especially with a crank) then after it was running you hand advanced the spark. If you forgot to advance the spark, it would run hot. So I added timing marks. Look in the how tos to see how I
did it with the head off. (Under Engine)First be sure the distributer is as it should be (bushings and fly weights)
I found that the instructions for the timing of the front mount disributer from Pertronix was way
slow. I had to really futs with it to get it right. After I got it set right, no more over heating problems
and it starts a lot faster, easyer and runs a lot better.

There is a way to add timing marks without removing the head using a VOM. A analog VOM works best. First remove all the spark plugs. Use a stiff piece of copper insulated wires with both ends striped back about a half inch. Connect the VOM to one lead and the other end to a GOOD ground. Be sure you are working on the number one piston coming up on power stroke with both valves closed . Insert the other bare end of the wire into number 1 piston hole.Slowly
turn the engine over by hand. With the VOM set on OHMS. As soon as you see the VOM show continuity with the piston top. STOP mark the front pulley and block with a piece of chalk. Continue turning the engine over slowly as soon as you see the VOM loose continuity. STOP Mark the
pulley and block again in a different spot. Do this 2 or 3 times to be sure you have it right. Dead center between the marks should be top dead center.
Mark the TDC on the pulley and block. That should give you ) degrees. Carefully measure the
circumference of the pulley. Dived that by 360, That will give you the distance of 1 degree. Multiply
that by 4 and add a mark on the pulley that is where you should set the timing at 400 RPM
Dave <*)))><

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]