Re: Dearborn 16-4 corn picker

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John in Mich on March 30, 2018 at 19:15:02 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Dearborn 16-4 corn picker posted by E.J.H on March 30, 2018 at 08:04:54:

I grew up using a Dearborn Wood Bros.Corn Picker Model 16-4. I had a lot of hours, even late at night, using it. Initially we used the 1951 8N. When we got the Famrall H, it was so much easier to use, more power and sitting higher with better view.
In 1972, my mother sold all of the equipment except the 8N and the 3 point attachments. Several times I thought about buying the picker back but found out that it had been scraped. I still have the Assembly and Operating Instructions book.
Fast forward about 25 years. I was at an auction in Dundee, Michigan and there was a 16-4 on the block. It was complete and had obviously been stored inside. Having old memories, I thought about bidding on it then said to myself, "Self, why? And, where would I store it?" But I was convinced if I could buy it for $25, I would.
Well, my better judgement won out (rare) and I kept my hands in my pockets and watched. Wow, it sold for $25!
This is not to say you might get more for yours. But, I suspect that the market for one is extremly limited. You might get more as scrap metal. I heard this week that scrap is close to $200/ton.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]