In Reply to: Starting issue posted by BrianS, NE on April 04, 2018 at 09:23:58:
The solenoid is making a noise because of low voltage. That is likely caused
1. A weak battery (charge it & check it per tip # 49. Or get it load
2. Dirty grounds/connections (remove the cables & clean the connections)
3. Bad cables or incorrect sized cables (replace them - see tip # 41)**
4. Bad ground between the starter & the block. (pull the starter away from the block & clean the mating area - see tip # 36)
* No matter what else you do, the battery must be fully charged. A float charger is helpful; not a trickle charger, but a float charger. (I use Battery Tenders on all my tractors) If you need to jump it, see tip # 43.
** You can't see corrosion under the insulation.