One Last (well, maybe not last) Ride

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dean on April 20, 2018 at 15:49:55 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Replacing a Good One posted by Dean on April 19, 2018 at 15:18:42:

I started the 51 for the first time this spring and took it out to mow for about 20 minutes to make sure that all was well before listing it for sale.

Good thing. While mowing, I noticed that the generator was charging at max output even after 15 minutes of running. All of my vintage Fords are 6V.

What the...!

This happened about two years ago when I was quite busy so I just turned the lights on while using it to avoid over charging the battery until I could get to it. Removing the field wire made no difference so I installed one of the rebuilt generators that I keep on hand. Problem solved.

Eventually, I got around to looking at the removed generator and, sure enough, the field terminal was shorted to ground. It needed nothing else so easy fix.

Now having a full field condition twice within a couple years or so is quite a coincidence so, suspecting stuck contacts in the VR, I removed the air cleaner so as to be able to remove the cover of the VR to check. What the...! Nothing wrong herein.

Of course, I should have removed the field wire at the generator before wasting such time, but I'm now an old guy so am entitled to make mistakes that I learned not to make 40 or 50 years ago.

Removed the field wire from the generator but the generator still charged at max output. Now this is really coincidental. Hmmmm....

Getting ready to pick up another rebuilt generator from stores but decided to remove the "failed" one first. Finding two different rebuilt generators with field connections shorted to ground in one's lifetime, let alone a year or two, is hard to believe.

Bingo! Apparently, I had not tightened the strap securing the (late model) generator to it's bracket tightly enough when I changed it last year. The generator had moved forward in it's bracket (don't know why, as it was now well out of alignment with the crankshaft and water pump pulleys) enough that the field terminal had shorted to the strap, resulting in a full field condition.

Glad it happened before I sold it.

Dean

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]