Re: Ford backhoe info

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ultradog MN on April 25, 2018 at 03:15:12 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Ford backhoe info posted by dave#1 on April 24, 2018 at 21:56:35:

I know a bit about the tractor. Less about the loader and pretty much nothing about the backhoe.
They were bullet proof in their day but are getting long in tooth now.
I don't want to sound too negative as it might have some life left in it but am going to focus on the bad as that is what's would bite you in the rear.
The engine is a typical 3 cyl 201 ci - found in all the 4000 series and derivatives. Great engines but the diesels are prone to cavitation - rust through from the water jacket into the cylinder walls. Requires bore/sleeve to repair. Easily preventable with coolant conditioner but many never got it.
The torque converter might last forever but is a $2000? repair if it goes bad. And I wouldnt want to have to split one of those TLBs - don't own the shop and equipment to do it.
I think parts for the swing cylinders are hard to find and the hydraulic controls for the hoe would be beyond my ken.
You could spend a chunk repacking/repairing/replacing the main cylinders on the hoe if needed. Pins and bushings on the hoe?
I don't think I would buy one. Too many ifs on a machine that big and old.
I know a guy who retired as a heavy equipment mech for the county. He still does some work on the side.
I sold him the back half of a 4400 w/standard 6X4 trans last year. He put it in his bil's 4500 this winter to replace the kaput 4X4 TC trans. Big burly guy. Nice as all get out but turn the volume down on your phone as his voice will break your ears.
I could put you in touch with him if you wanted to know a LOT more than I can tell you.
Email is open.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]