Re: Results with Draft control

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on May 03, 2018 at 05:04:58 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Results with Draft control posted by Kimberly on May 02, 2018 at 16:43:11:

If your hydraulic system isn't 100% functional, the draft control will not work right. A lot of things have to be in place -a good, non-leaking cylinder for starts. Worn cam follower pin, worn or out adjustment touch control settings, and more all need to be in working order. Your description is a perfect example of an old, worn out system. It needs to be pulled and R&R'd or leave it and keep doing what you are doing -plowing in POSITION control, which you can do, just as you did. The thing is with these old Fords, is that they are notorious work horses. They love to work, the more work the better. Preventative Maintenance was not always practiced back in the day as farmers would just keep going day after day as long as the tractor fired up and could head out to the fields. Many N's bought and sold today still have their original parts which have never seen repair. That is why we see worn hydraulic systems, worn engines, and worn other parts. When I bought my early 1948 8N in 1992, I was the 2nd owner, as it had come from Canada, the original owner being a potato farmer on 80 acres, and the tractor was still all original. I got almost ten years use out of it then rebuilt the engine in 2003. In 2009 I rebuilt the hydraulics. Both systems were never done prior to that. No big surprise, my 1996 Ford F-250 4x4 Pickup, the best vehicle I ever owned by the way, had over 250,000 miles on it when I finally had to scrap it and it still had many original parts on it then. Their slogan, "Built Ford Tough" wasn't derived on a whim.

Tim Daley(MI)

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]