Re: Pant & Rust Remover

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on May 15, 2018 at 11:40:09 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Pant & Rust Remover posted by Mike on May 15, 2018 at 06:11:57:

Interesting. What is the purpose of molasses? I've never heard of using it as a paint/dirt/rust remover. It's not very caustic is it? I use white vinegar to remove as it removes all that crud but it takes a while to work. Best to soak parts for weeks to be fully effective. Another plus is it isn't abrasive like media/sand/bead blasting is so if you want to preserve the natural patina, that is the choice. I use it exclusively on restoring antique tools and small original tractor parts like check chains, linch pins, tabs, nuts, and bolts. best to put in a plastic, not metal, coffee can and put a lid on it as it will evaporate otherwise. Large parts require something like a big plastic kiddie pool. The downside is white vinegar costs about $4-$5 per gallon. I would think electrolysis would work good and faster than vinegar, but I have never tried it yet. I've tried oven cleaner, that purple stuff, engine bright, and naval jelly. Naval jelly worked good but all of those products aren't cheap either. I've also found it is best to remove most of the external caked on grease and dirt first with basic mineral sprits, kerosene, ATF, or diesel fuel and some elbow grease. Gasoline too will remove paint.

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]