Re: Mighty Mac crossing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on May 18, 2018 at 07:08:25 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Mighty Mac crossing posted by TonyC on May 17, 2018 at 19:08:38:

Tony-
There is a lot of US history in the UP, Calumet/Laurium/ Houghton area specifically with the copper, iron, and lumber boom supplying most of the USA with those. There's been some recent new copper mining opened up and some iron mines still operate. Henry Ford spent a lot of time in the UP as he owned thousands of acres of forests, had lumber mills and iron mines too. In L'Anse you can tour one of them located right off 28/41 now owned and operated by Michigan Tech (Go Huskies!)in Houghton. One big sawmill also is in Kingsford, so named for Ford. Ford used timber cut from Michigan northern forests for all of his wood-products manufacturing requirements. Everything from the Woody side panels, to dashes, wheels, shipping crates, and spokes. One big product invented at Kingsford was the charcoal briquette. Sold still today under the KINGSFORD brand name but no longer a Ford owned company. Se LINK below.

Nothing beats homemade pastys. My grandma would make them when she came to visit us in Detroit and as a kid I watched. She would use stew meat as we couldn't always afford steak, but on occasion she'd use good sirloin. It is also worthy too that mining families were never rich either. Grandma Daley once told me that most families couldn't afford beef much so they'd use natural resources like rabbit, squirrel, and sometimes chicken. It is also a Yooper fact that the correct term is CATSUP, not ketchup. My dad would always correct us if we said it wrong. Mom always bought Del Monte Catsup. We never had gravy. I never heard of using gravy til I bought from local city (Barbs Pasty's in Clawson) when I lived there. Anyone who uses gravy is just plain wrong. You can even get pastys now in grocery store delis but everyone uses ground beef, often undercooked, -yuck! As my Dad use to say, it isn't an authentic pasty unless it has rutabagas in it.

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]