Re: Rear Wheel Removal and Handling

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on June 05, 2018 at 05:40:28 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Rear Wheel Removal and Handling posted by Kimberly on June 04, 2018 at 11:52:16:

Kimberly -don't try anything by yourself for your own safety; get some muscle to help. Painting the outside will not do much -the important surface is on the inside. I don't know what a portable, hand held sand blaster is. You can check tires to see if they are loaded first by rotating around until the valve stem is at the 6 O'Clock position at the bottom and pressing the stem down. If any liquid is in there, it should squirt out. I suggest you remove the entire wheels/tires, take them to your local service station with a mechanic on duty, or a local tire dealer as they can remove the tires and tubes for you with the right equipment. To me, what they charge is well worth it -my guy charges $7 per tire. Then you can get the rims sand blasted and painted. I also suggest you talk to your local bump shop guy as they can do all that work, and, you may be surprised at the low cost of doing that. If you have original hat rims and you are trying to restore them, use a good paint. I'd avoid any metallic/aluminum shade as they fade after a few years and rub off, literally. On my hat rims, I use a paint by IH/CASE called Silver Argent made for wheels. It has held up well for over 15 years now. I also use an original Dearborn Tractor Jack for when I have to change out wheels. It makes the job so much faster and easier. I cannot stress enough the importance of not attempting to do this by yourself. Even if the tires are not loaded, their mere bulk and stand alone weight can be a task no matter how big and muscular one is. removing and walking the wheels off of the hubs then rolling them off to a safe place requires concentration and patience. If one feels the wheel is getting away from you let it go, don't try to stop it. Two people make it easier to maneuver. use another tractor with a boom to load wheels on your trailer. If tires are/were loaded, you will want new tubes and get inside of tires washed out good. The tire dealer can do that too. Just my advice on how I do it.

FORD 8N & DEARBORN TRACTOR JACK:

FORD 8N CENTER DISCS ON 9 X 28 HAT RIMS; COMPLETELY RESTORED, w/ SILVER ARGENT PAINT:

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]