Re: 9N Problem Child

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kevin on June 27, 2018 at 17:36:01 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: 9N Problem Child posted by Kevin on June 27, 2018 at 15:50:52:

Thanks Jmor, your posts were very helpful and got me looking in the right direction. I think I know what is wrong with my tractor and it aint pretty! I pulled the coil and distributor cap and watched the rotor while turning the tractor over. It is not turning!! I think I may know why.

The governor assembly came apart last week. The cage holding the ball bearings broke and went to pieces. Unfortunately the tractor continued to run fine and the broken pieces wore a hole through the housing. I shut it down when I noticed oil coming from the housing. Two of the wings in the ball cage were broken off. One was sticking out of the hole in the housing, did not find the other.

I installed a new governor and changed the engine oil and filter before starting it. I found the snap ring from the governor shaft near the screen around the oil pump but did not find the other wing. I'm guessing it is jammed in the timing gear. I will pull the distributor off and make sure the timing gear slot is not turning but I know what I will find.

My next question is how in the world do I get to that timing gear. Can I access it by pulling the fan and front cover on the engine or is it much worse?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]