Re: Seek Info - 1956 FORD 660

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by KCM on July 10, 2018 at 23:30:38 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Seek Info - 1956 FORD 660 posted by Tim Daley(MI) on July 05, 2018 at 08:27:45:

I remember seeing that photo many years ago, but since then believe the information in the caption is suspect. Even though the badge on tractor in the photo looks to say 600 or 800, all the information I have come across indicates that the first tug after the 2N BNO was the model 621-62 built in 1962 and ordered through the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Logic tells me the tractor would not be a 660 since the tug would have no use for a 3-point hitch/hydraulics or a PTO just to pull around aircraft or carts. Every one I've seen so far also have a 4-speed transmission, even into the 1970's, and the 621-62 used a torque convertor instead of a traditional clutch (hence the oil cooler in the photo). Since the 600 and 601 look identical from distance, they would be hard to distinguish from that photo.

The reason I have taken an interest in tugs is that I own a model 621-62. I am positive it was used on a military base as there is one within 100 miles of where I purchased the tractor and there are labels in the tractor indicating use by the USAF on an airstrip. The brass tag says it was a wheeled tractor used for 'IND. GED (Ground Equipment Depot) TOWING". I suspect it didn't tow many planes but was used to move around ground support equipment for planes. It was originally equipped with pintle hitch from what I discovered.

The N-News Spring issue actually has an article on a restored 621-62.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]