Re: Drill bit sharpening help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on July 23, 2018 at 16:19:24 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Drill bit sharpening help posted by TheOldHokie on July 21, 2018 at 17:22:39:

Yes I agree 100% Dan. In todays' business, I wouldn't think about writing out a CNC Milling program by hand as most workpieces are extremely complex, 3-D, multi-axis parts and most are made of exotic materials like titanium. One cannot afford a machining error due to an incorrect G-CODE value. The use of Master Cam and such is blessing in these cases. But a basic, simple program should be handled in MDI otherwise. Mill a surface, spot a hole pattern drill the pattern, tap the pattern =-basic stuff. the other issue with some of the younger and some older as well, "programmers" is they have no basic machine tool training and rely on the CAD programs to choose speeds, feeds, and tooling for the job. Most CNC lathes deal with 2-axis, X and Z. Some CNC Lathes offer live tooling fo some limited milling work. A little simpler to program but setting up and running a lathe is much more difficult than a mill. In the last 15 years of my working days I was in charge of processing/programming work at Valenite. They had purchased a new OKUMA MAC-TURN 50, a new technology machine tool that combined a lathe and mill. It had 7 axis. At the time of purchase there were only two machines in the world. The US Navy had the first one, and ours was being built so had to wait 6 months for delivery in September, 1998. I did ALL the G-CODE programming for that written out longhand, but with DNC uploading and downloading to and from the machine was easier via interface -no more clumsy tape readers and Mylar tape. MAZAKs followed with their INTEGREX series, but I had dealt with MAZAKS sinvetet70's and condemn any MAZAK operator because they were not true programmers. MAZAK invented their own method of programming called MAZATROL so an operator could set up the job at the machine then 'program' it with a series of key commands. the ironic thing was that the MAZATROL language used the G_CODE format, only it was just buried in the system. All you saw o the CRT was a series of part absolute values and some funny Mazak icons. I had a sign in my office that said "MAZAKS ARE FOR PUXXIES"

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]