Re: CYLINDER HEAD STUDS, HEX NUTS & HEX BOLTS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on September 10, 2018 at 04:12:27 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: CYLINDER HEAD STUDS, HEX NUTS & HEX BOLTS posted by K.LaRue-VA on September 09, 2018 at 22:10:30:

It's always cool to make your own stuff. I made some exact-as-original 351505 flat washers years ago, better than originals actually as I used H13 steel. I had setup and programmed a Mori-Seiki CNC Lathe to turn them complete, with a bar feed cycle and all. I ran off a few hundred and still have a whole bunch. I've made coulter hub bearings, washers, and caps too. My biggest endeavor was to use same CNC process and machine using 1-1/16 hex collet pads to produce the thick Ford 33806 Hex Nuts. I purchased a 1-1/16 hex length of 8620 steel and ran off a supply. I had also acquired a set of 5/8" hex and 11/16" hex collet pads for making other Ford exact hex nuts but never had the chance to. Torque is determined by the fastener material type and thread size. The Ford head torque spec chart I posted designates each the 7/16-20 Hex Nut spec and the 7/16-14 Hex Bolt spec. What I dislike the most about today's hex nuts that are made in Cheena is they don't use the SAE system of marking heads with the lines to designate the Grade. They all now have a mfg logo and/or code so you have to guess what grade they are long after they are in use. Being made in Cheena, how do we even know if their process is correct anyway? They have no Quality Control or even any process control. I recently bought some fasteners, made in Cheena, and no where on the box does it have the Grade 8 listed. When did they change and why did we allow this to happen? Maybe President Trump will fix this too!

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]