what I learned about antifreeze

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ButtonRock on October 13, 2018 at 03:29:35 [URL] [DELETE] :

Recently I had to have a radiator recored for a jd 332. I went to a place a few towns over for the first time, woodstock radiator. Al (ct) might be familiar with the gentleman. He informed me that the white calcium like substance that was choking my rad was the result of lack of maintenance. I protested that this was an outdoor machine and that I checked the freeze point every fall and added antifreeze accordingly. He said that although I was checking freeze point I had neglected to check PH. If the ph becomes acidic it will rot out you rad or in a car your heater core. If the ph becomes alkaline as in my case it will form that white rock hard substance and chokes off the rad. I protested that I Have been doing this for 30 years and never had this problem before. He added that there is a chemical in antifreeze that prolongs its life and this chemical is also used in the denim industry in the making stonewashed blue jeans. Because the two industries competed for this particular chemical the price rose so far that the antifreeze companies started using something else that did not work nearly as well. So I should be checking ph and as soon as falls below or above 7.5 or 8 it should be replaced. He advised those little test strips that can be found on ebay for cheap. I finally asked him approx how often I should be changing my antifreeze. drumroll please,,,,, his answer,,,,,every year. I went home and ordered four packs of those little ph strips. sure enough every machine I own is overdue for antifreeze changing. go figure

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]