Re: Buford

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on November 28, 2018 at 08:34:30 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Buford posted by Jim on November 27, 2018 at 21:51:47:

It depends on how big the part is, and the time frame in which it will be needed. Electrolysis seems to be a popular method. I've always used plain white vinegar in a can or pan with the small parts soaking for several weeks at least. Vinegar will remove rust, crud and paint when left to work -it won't do anything in just a few hours or days even. Small parts can be put in a plastic coffee can, covered in vinegar, then the lid replaced as the stuff will evaporate fast otherwise especially in hot weather. A larger container like a plastic dishpan will work for slightly large parts like tools, but be sure to also cover. For real big parts, a small kiddie swimming pool will work. Use a plastic container with vinegar so it doesn't have to compete with the metal like a tin coffee can, if you still have any. Vinegar is about $5 per gallon so consider costs on bigger parts. Electrolysis is the way to go on those. Finding a place that will sell lye can be a hassle too. I've used old mower blades for conductors in my tank. We have methods in or HOW-TO's forum to help you decide as well. here is the one for electrolysis...

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]