Re: When did you get your first "N" tractor?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bruce(OR) on December 30, 2018 at 14:10:11 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: When did you get your first posted by Farmer Dan on December 30, 2018 at 12:10:39:

Now that is a story.
The wife and I got married in 1996. I mistakenly fixed all her busted equipment around here including a Sears Roto-tiller.
Idiot me.
~She~ then had me run it out the the garden and make a pass. Ok, I said.
~Then come back.~ Ok-ay...This is going to get old quick.
~Do it again.~ Really, are you serious?
~Now come back.~ Nope. No way in h*ll. You need a tractor dear. This animal is broken. I might only be 38, but I am not playing this stupid game. There is another story why I do not have a love affair for manual tillers.
So the search began. Off to Craigslist and the search started for a machine I knew nothing about. It's mechanical? Yeah, good chance I can fix it.
I found one, How much she asked, I said bring $5K for something 1/2 decent. She balked.
Then came her desire for a front loader. I looked again. I said Bring $7500.
She screamed and I absolutely stopped looking.
A few weeks later, I was walking in the back yard and she yelled out,
"I found it!!"
Found what?
Your lost vacuum cleaner?
Your car keys?
I said what did you find"
Its a nineteenfourtynine-ntractor with a front loader
All in one word.
Was that 1940 9N ford tractor
or a 1949 N tractor?
What the *ell is a N ford tractor?
Tractor. Big wheel in back, small wheel in front. Steering wheel in the middle.
How much dear?
$1900.
Nice you have that much dear. (only about 1/2 the bank account at that time.)
So she got a hold of an old friend of her's, the retired local volunteer fire chief because he had the truck and trailer to transport it and "knew all about" tractors.

We drove south to look at this non running machine. I played with it long enough to make it bark and run for a few seconds before it died in agonizing noise.
The front axle stub was hanging at an angle and I knew something at least needed straightening.
The Friend of hers had a slick set up with his truck and over sized trailer.
He backed the trailer up as close as he could get to the shed, some 100 feet distant. Dropped the trailer and turned his truck around, connected the trailer to a hitch on the front and spooled out 100 plus feet of cable from his hydraulic winch. We connected to the tractor and pulled it out and up onto the trailer, tied it down and brought it home.
Then the fun began. The tractor rolled about 30 feet off the trailer and the axle knee broke. Absolutely broke. Just like my patience. I tried real hard to contain my frustration at the machine and the "expert" who didn't mention anything about anything...It was obvious I was not a happy camper. he left and somehow I got it moved and parked. Making it run was easy enough and I dropped another $1,000 into it fixing and repairing and starting my education.
About a week later she said she desired to use a tiller with it.
No dear. That machine was not designed for a tiller. You need a plow.
Then the fun began again.
I don't want a plow, I want a tiller!"
Another week or two and along comes a 1950 Ferguson with a Hupp, Howard and a tiller.
How much she ask's?
$1900 just like you just spent on the 9N.
She balked. She screamed.
Can you put the loader on the Fergy?
Yeah, I ought'a be smart enough to do that. it's the same basic machine.
So with a death thrust to the bank account, the Fergy came home.
Complete with a worn out engine and the starte hanging off the side of the tractor.
But it ran when pull started with another vehicle.
It was decided that the original 1940 9N ford tractor, painted Allis Chalmers orange, would get fixed and sold while keeping the front loader.
It went away for the $1900 original price and we kept the loader.
The front loader is still in the yard and 22 years later has not made it's way onto the Fergy yet.
There is an 871 Gold Demonstrator out there with a front loader as well as a Kubota B7500
My education with tractors has been fun. Currently, in various stages of disrepair, are (3) 8N. (1) 9N (1) 2N, also with a loader.
(1) 881D, (1) 871 Demonstrator, (2) TO-20 and (1) Orange interloper Kubota B7500.
Not to mention the remaining transmission gear box from a TO-35.
Eventually, ha-ha, I might wind up with (1) running 8N, (1) TO-20 with the 8N hydraulics and the howard and Hupp and maybe an Everett trans.
The Orange toy and the 801 series machines.
So...5 toys.
That covers about 22 years so far.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]