Re: When did you get your first "N" tractor?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Darwin on December 31, 2018 at 21:55:01 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: When did you get your first posted by PatrickB on December 31, 2018 at 09:32:49:

I hope if I tell you a story that you will believe it because it's really true. My dad was a life time farmer. When he was young his tractor an 88 Oliver with the Roll A Matic front end. For some reason when he was haying the cattle the rear end of the tractor slid down hill and hit a rut and the axle snapped off leaving him without a tractor. He only had one tractor for power to make a living, as was the rule back in that time. He could not afford the new axle so out came the harness and dad did it all with two horses. By the end of the year he didn't have enough money to fix the Oliver but he had enough to buy an A John Deere with steel wheels and a buzz saw on the front. That was his tractor until he could get his Oliver fixed. After serving in the Army he return home and went back to farming. He went to the implement dealer and traded in the Oliver for a new International 400. When fall came his older brother came to him and told him that he would put a mounted picker on it if he could use it to pick his corn with it. So it was that my dad would pick corn all day for him and his brother and in the evening picked corn for the neighbors and would fill their wagons and they would empty them during the day and return them back empty to the field . I don't know how he did it but he paid off the tractor and corn picker in that one year. I learnt how to farm on that tractor, with oil running over the deck, it had the three levers for the outlets and hitch on the right hand side of the dash. He never had an 8 N but I always loved them just a man sized toy so when I turned 50 I finally got what I really wanted for my birthday , it helps when you buy it your self. that was 12 years ago. My dad has passed on and all the tractors and machinery sold but the 8 N sits in the garage waiting to be needed. thanks guys

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]