Re: 9N Spark/No Spark

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Parker on January 21, 2019 at 20:15:10 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: 9N Spark/No Spark posted by John Parker on January 20, 2019 at 12:05:50:

I appreciate all the responses. The odd part of the spark issue is that it will start every day after sitting for a period of time, usually overnight, run for a few minutes and lose spark. There is still 6.24 dcv to the coil with no spark to the plugs. The tractor has gone through a restoration and is kept inside out of the weather. The following has taken place since the spark issue:

1. Replaced the insulator under the brass concave head screw.
2. Continuity between the the coil pigtail and top of the coil good.
3. Copper strip intact and not grounded.
4. Distributor to block clean and grounded. Points plate clean.
5. Continuity between top of coil and yab good.
6. Spring clip in proper position and condenser wire not grounded.
7. Distributor mounted tight with gasket.
8. No moisture issues. Tractor stored inside.
9. Replaced bushings with no shaft movement side to side. Points replaced, gapped to specifications and checked for continuity when closed.
10.Replaced the Distributor cap, rotor, coil, coil wire and resistor.

I have considered a new distributor or electronic ignition. But I like the idea of keeping the tractor as original as possible.

Would the weights and springs affect the way it is acting? This seems to have started after I had the bushings replaced. Prior to that is was just hard to start because of the sloppy shaft movement and point gap changes do to worn bushings.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]