2n runs fine

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John S on January 24, 2019 at 07:04:01 [URL] [DELETE] :

I was asking here last week about my Ford 2n problem of not starting and appreciate all the help you guys gave me. The tractor was running good all summer and fall mowing mostly then began to get hard to start. I began troubleshooting my 2n problem of not starting last week confident I could do it on my own. The tractor is six volts and positive grounded and the wiring matches J-mores diagram. Since it had been years since the last tuneup, I went ahead and began with a tuneup on the front mount distributor and the only new parts I installed were points, spark plugs, a cap, a condensor, a rotor, and the Ecklan points. I went to my nearby Napa dealer and got all the parts as Tim Daley listed in the other post. I bought Champion H12 spark plugs and a new coil. While I was replacing the parts and rebuilding the distributor I had checked my battery voltage and it was at 11 volts. That didnít seem right so I took my battery to the local OíReillyís auto parts store and asked if they could test it. They did test it and said it was bad and wasnít holding a charge. I had also read to invest in a good brand battery so I had to go to a different store to find a Interstate six volt battery. I installed the distributor after I tested it like Bruce mentioned then put the new battery in and connected it all up. I turned the key switch on and hit the starter pushbutton and the tractor fired up on like the second crank! It ran for a good thirty minutes or longer with no problems of stopping or conking out. The only thing I didnít do but wasnít sure if I needed to or how to do it correctly was polarize the generator. I have the original one wire generator and it has an adjustment low to high screw on the back cover so I am pretty sure it is the correct three brush type. There is a round cut out on the back of the dash and it has the Ford name and the letter B on it. I think I can polarize the generator there but not sure. The generator has a thing around it with a long screw going across to a bracket coming off the cylinder head and I just read this is the fan belt tightening mechanism. I saw and read in my 2n service book the fan belt should have about a half inch deflection so I had to tighten it up a bit but other than that, I did nothing else and the tractor is running fine now, even though it has been very cold lately, starts right up and runs perfectly.

What I was trying to find but couldn't in any Ford books was a good explanation of how the electrical system works and what the purpose and value of each component is supposed to be. I mean, I had read that the front coil has a primary and a secondary winding in it, but could not find what the voltage values are supposed to be or how I can check those. I was also wondering why there is the ballast resistor on the back of dash by the amp gauge and why is it needed, and what is it supposed to be doing. Reading some of other guys messages who say you don't need that resistor and the tractor will run ok without it so why did Ford put one on? Then I was looking at the electrical diagram for the side mount tractors and there is no resistor so how come? I understand there is the ignition system and the charging system but are two different systems. It only seems logical that when starting up you depend on and are using the ignition system then once running the charging system kicks in. Thanks to all who helped and tanks in advance to any further answers to my questions.

John S

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]