Re: 8N Control Lever

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K.LaRue-VA on March 15, 2019 at 21:51:08 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: 8N Control Lever posted by Kimberly on March 15, 2019 at 12:29:38:

The plan was to go out to the shop, find a scrap piece of something and take pictures of how I straighten something on my press. Instead of scrap, I happened to have an actual bent control rod hanging by the press. So here's the basic setup on my many times rebuilt HF shop press.

With one bent as much as this one, it probably should be straightened most of the way with the piece just laying on one arbor plate. I'm using an old wheel nut and scrap steel to raise the bar a bit so I can push the bend a little past straight on the first go. The rope isn't tight or really doing anything except catching the part if something should slip and it tries to come flying outta there.

After the first whack it sprang back a lot more than expected. This is really springy stuff. I spread the plates out and just used the small piece of steel bar to make sure that small end of the linkage isn't touching anything.

It's not done. There is still a kink near the small end. One more whack should do it, then I'll make sure it's straight side-to-side. I'm not using any heat because I feel work-hardening this piece a bit might make it a little less likely to be bent again. I have no idea how heating and various methods of cooling might affect the strength of this type of metal.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]