Re: 8n serial number location

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on April 18, 2019 at 17:24:29 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: 8n serial number location posted by Bob S Az on April 17, 2019 at 15:56:20:

No, the serial number is only stamped in one place, and is just the serialized number the engine block was given, being hand stamped AFTER it was machined, assembled, and passed a break-in test and QC Inspection. Contrary to what some believe, serial numbers were not stamped the day the block was cast. The 8N blocks, early ones anyway, also had a date code tag on the starter pocket. Other parts have a date code tag as well like the hydraulic pump -look on the bottom of the base, and the axle trumpets. Serial numbers were hand stamped whereas date code tags were in raised characters on a special tag, inserted right on the sand mold when the part was cast at the Rouge foundry. The date code alphanumerical nomenclature is defined as, from left to right: 1st place, a letter from A to L, with the letter "A" for the month of January and the letter "L" for the month of December. Next is a one or two digit numeral, from 1 to 31, defining the day of the month the block was cast. Lastly is a single digit to define the year the block was cast. A '7' would designate 1947, an '8' would designate 1948, a '0' would designate 1950 etc. The date code tag is simply the date the block was cast. My early 8N has a date code boss tag of "I167" meaning it was cast on September 16, 1947. the serial number is *8N-I55I3*. Thus my engine was hand stamped sometime around October 16, 1947. Cast iron requires a curing period of 30 days minimum before it can be machined. Unless you have an early s/n, say with 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 numerals, and you plan on doing a full true all original restoration, don't worry too much about the serial number. What is important to know about your 8N tractor is A) does it a front mount or angle mount distributor, B) does it have an early or late steering box, C) does it have the OEM 6V/POS GRN electrical system or a 12V/NEG GRN switch over job, D) does it have a 3 speed or a 4-speed transmission, and E)does it have POSITION CONTROL. The 8N came with a 4-speed tranny, the 9N and 2N only had a 3-speed. The 8N (and all models after) came with POSITION CONTROL. The 9N and 2N only had DRAFT CONTROL. I mention these latter two features because a lot of N's are mutts meaning they have engines from one model slapped into earlier or later tractors so it's possible to have an 8N serialized engine block in your 9N or 2N tractor and vice versa. When the Ford-Ferguson Moto-Tug was built in 1943 for the US Navy, 9N tractors were used as the matrix and models were built without any serial numbered blocks. The serial numbers were hand stamped after they were assembled at the E.E. Shatz Ford Tractor dealership in Columbus, Ohio. the Moto-Tugs had their own s/n, using the BNO prefix. Now, I've read from a few people over the years that Ford built extra engines without any serial numbers for use to dealers doing engine exchanges on blown units. I have never read this in any Ford book and I have in my library every book, all the legitimate ones anyway, on car, truck, tractor domestic, and export vehicles ever written. Thus, until I see the data that specifies this, I remain skeptical.

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]