Re: New Yoke has wrong threads - which is correct?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on April 20, 2019 at 04:48:37 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: New Yoke has wrong threads - which is correct? posted by Kimberly on April 19, 2019 at 12:48:25:

There are two very important facts to remember when buying parts today. First, with the new/aftermarket or used OEM ones sold, especially on fleabay, there are less than a handful of sellers who actually know what the parts are and will list them as such. The rest have no clue and most will always list them as, “Fits 9N, 2N, 8N FORD TRACTOR” so their item gets maximum exposure. The part may or may not work for all models but may also require other parts to be changed as well in order to make them work. Often times they also will list the wrong part number as well. It’s honorable that you wish to keep your tractor as original as possible; however, since you are not doing a complete rebuild/restoration, what JMOR said is advice to be seriously heeded. You’ve already chosen to use the later NAA hydraulic piston so that negates adhering to an original 8N design anyway. I advise too -make the parts you have work. Nobody is going to chastise you for using the wrong yoke and plunger. Tractor folks don’t judge at shows, none I’ve ever attended anyway. Who’s going to pull your top cover off and inspect the piston??? Pull the yoke??? The second point to follow is the MPC’s list by year the parts and if a change was made, will usually have a letter suffix to designate that. That is where details come into play. Sometimes the MPC’s will detail what the change is in the part description, more often than not they don’t. That’s when further research is needed which usually requires original blueprint drawings that have the EI listings. Not an easy task since very few sets of the original 9N Blueprints exist. The Benson Ford Research Center in Dearborn, Michigan at The Henry Ford/Greenfield Village does have at least one set of prints and you can get copies of any part you wish by going online and requesting them via a form they provide. Be forewarned that copies are not cheap and you must designate what drawing you want as the kids working there are not going to be of any help. The yokes and plungers all have special fine thread pitches. The 1949 MPC shows the yoke as p/n 9N-546-C, and listed in all subsequent MPC’s as well. The plunger, 9N-541-C, shows it was changed to p/n 8N-541 in 1950. What exactly the ‘A’ and ‘B’ suffixed parts were would have to be investigated further by the EI sheet number as listed on the drawing. That means the EI sheet(s) would need to be accessed in order to further determine the changes. Like I said, that could get expensive. You’d have to first have the original drawing. Depending on what revision you have, the change may or may not be documented on it. If not, then the EI sheets would be need to be looked at. As my good friend Marvin Baumann once told me, “…there will never be a complete comprehensive book on Ford Tractors because so may changes were made, never documented, and/or many drawings were destroyed.”

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]