Re: Damage to Differential - Will this be OK? Photos included

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K.LaRue-VA on April 24, 2019 at 21:13:48 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Damage to Differential - Will this be OK? Photos included posted by Kimberly on April 24, 2019 at 15:24:46:

The big unknown is how many pieces of metal will be circulating around inside continuing to cause damage. That differential scarring is bad. The big cracked chunk of casting near the pinion gear in one of your previous photos is even more of a worry.

No way would I consider trying to use that rear end housing or any parts in it on a tractor that I needed to work. The amount of work it would take to completely tear down, clean-out, replace, and rebuild just isn't worth the effort. Especially when that casting may not be repairable.

Finding a donor tractor with a locked-up or cracked engine for cheap or free is a much better (cheaper) way to fix it. Just swap the entire rear-end and it's done. It's a common sump, so if there is any question about loose bits getting into the transmission, I'd just put the good engine on the donor tractor and call it done. Splitting and swapping is a lot less work and expense than rebuilding anything.

Once the working tractor is good to go. Selling the good duplicate parts can often make back more than the donor tractor cost, even when I had to pay a rollback to go get it for me.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]