Re: 801 ford

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by NAA36663 on April 30, 2019 at 08:32:09 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: 801 ford posted by dexterdraco on April 28, 2019 at 19:46:37:

Here's my take on the Select-O-Speed without power steering:

Background:
I bought a Jubilee about 20 yrs ago, now scheduled for 'Trailer Queen' status.
Wanted live PTO to pull a finish mower so I bought an 860. Then wanted power steering, so I bought an 861. Reverse too fast on the 860 and 861 for rear snowblower so I bought an 871 with PS, 2 reverse speeds fast and faster - also not for rear snowblowers.
I sold the 860 and am fixing up the 861 to sell. In live PTO mode, the clutch pedal is a bit too high for my comfort.
I plan on keeping the 871 because it works great and wouldn't bring enough money anyway.

When I bought my 871 I discovered no serial number on the tractor. Folks on the board told me the original select-o-speed transmissions available starting in 1959 were so unreliable the factory set up full scale replacements on dealer premises.
Sometimes they got so busy they forgot to stamp the old serial number on the new transmission. The replacement transmissions are reported to be much better. I wasn't aware of that at the time, so I lucked out. Tractors beyond the early 871/881 all have the better transmission.

I was told the best way you can tell which transmission is by driving the tractor downhill in one of the speeds that has a red diagonal hatch marks (about half of the 10 forward speeds) in the background of the display. If the tractor free-wheels down hill, you have the early transmission to avoid. If the engine/transmission keeps the tractor from free wheeling, you have a good one. Mine is the latter and I have had no problems so far.

You won't be able to tell before you bid, but if you decide to get the tractor, I would strongly recommend taking any transmission issue to a mechanic with experience with that transmission, which ever version it has.

Sorry for the long post, but hope it helps.
Mike M.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]