Re: Orginal 8n tires

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on May 18, 2019 at 10:57:59 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Orginal 8n tires posted by 8n on May 18, 2019 at 06:43:59:

On July 6, 1947 FORD released the new 8N Tractor. One of new features was the Firestone Champion Spade Grip Style 10 x 28 rear tire. It was used from ’47 thru ’49. The 10 x 28 size is the same as the 11.2 x 28 now. The Firestone closed center bar Spade Grip type had curved lugs. Later Ford would go to the 27-1/2° open center style 10 x 28. Drawing records show Ford used Firestone, B.F. Goodrich, and the own FORD logo tires beginning with the 9N in 1939. Ford engineers were constantly experimenting with tread types. They were seeking one universal tire that could be used in all soil conditions. Ford used the Firestone 4 x 19 single ribbed front tire on all the N-Series models. The 8N offered as dealer supplied options the Firestone Guide Grip 5.50-16, 6.0-16, and 6.00-16 front tires that were recommended for use with FELs. In 2003 I restored my early 8N, built on or about October 14, 1947. Note that 8Ns were built and sold in 1947 they are for all intents and purposes considered to be 1948 models, hence the '8' in 8N. I opted for as original as possible with my restoration. I purchased new Firestone Champion Spade Grip reproduction rear tires and Firestone 4 x 19 single ribbed front tires from Miller Tire. Here are some pictures of my 8N all gussied up in her show clothes. A few years later I purchased a set of 4.5 x 16 front rims from a local boneyard and blasted and painted them. I had a set of the 2-piece front weights used on 16” rims and often will display them at shows. There is also a LINK to our MANUALS with a scan of the Firestone Tire catalog I have.

1948 FORD 8N RESTORED; TIM DALEY OWNER & OPERATOR:

REPRODUCTION FIRESTONE 6.00-16 GUIDE-GRIP FRONT TIRES:

FORD/KELSEY-HAYES ORIGINAL 28 X 9 HAT RIMS, RESTORED:

ORIGINAL PAGE FROM FIRSETONE FARM TRACTOR TIRE CATALOG –CHAMPION SPADE GRIP:

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]