Re: 1951 8N-C radius rods

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris Zuhn on May 30, 2019 at 00:04:59 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: 1951 8N-C radius rods posted by Chris Zuhn on May 25, 2019 at 23:50:22:

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Today I straightened both radius rods, both were bowed to the outside and bent upwards. Tractor weight was insufficient to make any progress. So out with the heavy-duty chains and 12 ton bottle jack. Removed the axle end pins and the ball joint cover to see exactly how and where to place jack. Reinstalled one at a time, and then straightened both bow and bend. Took quite a bit of pressure to fix the bend; the bow was not so bad. Reinstalled the first and looked at the still bent one - the ball joint was at least 6 inches from its socket. Removed the straight one from its socket and put the bent one back into its socket. Still a lot of pressure to straighten; I would estimate 5-7 tons. Put it all back together and drove it to its parking spot. Seems to steer better, but while the front end was up, I checked the spindles and wheel bearings - lots of play in both. More things to do :=(. At least it is more driveable, and the Bush Hog (tm) is about completely repaired. Might get to cut the pastures before the summer heat dries it all up. Southwestern MO, north of Springfield, still thunderstorms and lots of rain most days. Again, thanks to all; one less thing to do on this old 8N. zuhnc

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]