Re: 9N serial number

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on August 28, 2019 at 12:07:33 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: 9N serial number posted by Tim Daley(MI) on August 28, 2019 at 04:07:10:

Jay-
As I stated above, the serial number only identifies the engine block serial number, but was also meant to ID the serial number of the unit itself. Since many engine blocks were swapped out with others, there is no 100% absolute anymore, no guarantee that the s/n of your engine block is the OEM unit that was built with your unit. Follow? The other identifiers like hydraulic pump date code boss, and axle trumpet date code ID boss tags may help some, but still no guarantee the those parts were original either. That's why I'll say again, s/n's mean nothing really. If you had an early 9N or early 8N that is worthy of restoring to all original then I would concentrate on all the other parts that made it all original. Unless one had an original bill of sale declaring that a particular vehicle was sold on such and such a date with s/n number such and such, to this or that dealer, then you'd have something noteworthy to go on, BUT, very few actual original bill of sales exist and records no longer exist for vintage vehicles, so again, another moot point. Stop fretting over the serial number unless like I said it is an early model you are restoring, and concentrate on the important items. Those would be: Front Mount or Side Mount Distributor; 3-Speed or 4-Speed transmission; OEM 6V/POS GRN Electrical System or a 12V convert; Steering Box -9N and 2N were changed a few times and the 8N had an early and a late box; 9N and 2N had DRAFT CONTROL only, 8N introduced POSITION CONTROL as well; Rear wheels were different on the 9N and 2N, 8N introduced new wheels and hubs and they are not interchangeable. There were many other subtle changes and you would need to get into the MPC's (Master Parts Catalogs) to ID them. They are all available for FREE downloads in the NTC MANUALS forum. These are only my personal opinions but all are based on facts, not speculation.

FORD N-SERIES TRACTOR ENGINE BLOCK SERIAL NUMBERS BY YEARS PRODUCED, FWIW:

I'll just add a correction: The 8N was released in early July, 1947, not in 1948. '8' was used to ID the next Model Number by year. 'N' simply was the FORD identification code letter for tractor module. It is also CASE NEW HOLLAND (CNH) now, the FORD TRACTOR name no longer exists on paper.

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]