Trouble starting my 8n and not sure if shorted or fried?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott on September 24, 2019 at 15:10:20 [URL] [DELETE] :

Background:
I bought my Ford 8n about 2 years ago. I knew absolutely nothing about tractors but I new Ford 8n were dependable and easy to maintain. I had to replace the starter, solenoid, alternator, battery after I bought it. I had to rewire the switches, lights, alternator etc. because the battery was getting drained. I didn't upgrade the wiring (as in replaced), it was just connected wrong.

For the last two years it starts on the first try every time, even after sitting. Being totally oblivious to tractors and electrical, I had a sense of accomplishment. I have a small light installed so I can tell when the battery is on and switches to the alternator on starting. So it goes out when it runs independent of the battery. Well,now I have my first major problem... and still being a fairly new owner since I haven't had to work on it much, I'm stuck.

My Problem:
I cannot figure out where my electrical issue may be. I think the starter when bad or shorted out the first time. When I connected the battery directly it would not turn over. So I replaced it.

When I replaced the starter, it still didn't start with the start button. When I pushed the button it popped like the first time and my battery/alternator light would stay off. However, when I touched the battery to the new starter it would turn over but just not start not start. The key was on and the gas.

The solenoid seems to be OK but that that is always hard for me to tell. I was wondering if there might be a short in the wiring somewhere between the starter button, the solenoid and maybe even the alternator. However, now I have this and two further issues I think ...

1) I'm not sure if I need to replace these wires, what size I should use for the switch, solenoid and to the alternator as an example? 12 or 16 gauge or some other? Maybe there is a kit?

2) Admittedly and embarrassingly, when I tested the replacement starter with the battery cable, the starter turned over so I figure the issue my lie somewhere between my solenoid, start button and maybe the alternator. However, while thinking that my cable slipped out of my hand and touched the casing of the starter and sparks flew. So now the starter won't turn over but I'm not sure what else I may need to do now that I bungled that.

Any suggestions would help. I don't have a problem starting over and replacing the starter, solenoid, battery or switch... but I'm not sure if that is all I need to do or check, aside from possibly replacing the wires for each.

It's starting to get cold in Ohio and the tractor is out in the middle of my pasture -- no power except driving a vehicle out there. I tried hand cranking and it the tractor tried to turn over once or twice but hasn't since.

Sorry for the long post... I'm kind of desperate to fix it before it gets really cold.

Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions or helps you can offer.

Scott from Ohio

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]