Re: hydraulic issue Ford 600

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ultradog MN on December 04, 2019 at 05:16:02 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: hydraulic issue Ford 600 posted by Tim Daley(MI) on December 03, 2019 at 11:13:56:

Tim,
As you know, the N series used metal rings on the lift piston which tended to wear grooves in the cylinder bore sometimes making them unserviceable. As you stated, from the NAAs onward ford used a different lift piston with oring and leather backup. Those did not cause the grooving like the metal rings did. I have never seen one that was unserviceable. So I do not agree that he needs to replace his lift cylinder. New cylinder is very expensive - $600 - and I'll lay odds that his old one is just fine. I also would much prefer to reuse an original one - even if it had a bit of scoring or wear than buy some kind of aftermarket one from the land of almost right. His hyd pump produces around 4 GPM which is more than enough to overcome considerable leakage.
As for the leak down test, I wouldn't bother. If I am going to go through the effort of pulling the top cover for a cam follower pin and linkage adjustment I am surely going to replace the piston seals while I'm in there. Just because. Especially when a lift cover kit, including the gasket, Orings and piston seals only costs about $10? from most suppliers.
Jon, no dope, pucky, sealer or silicone on the top cover gasket or any hydraulic apparatus. You don't want silicone squeezing out and getting into your hyd system.
Just put it together dry and you will be fine.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]