Re: Jubilee

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John in Mich on December 30, 2019 at 16:41:08 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Jubilee posted by JR in AR on December 29, 2019 at 23:21:45:

Everyone has a personal view and procedure for a tractor that has not run in "awhile". Awhile can be anything from a few months to a several or many years.
My procedure is drain engine oil and install fresh then pull the spark plugs and put some Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) in each cylinder. Then I try to roll it over by hand. A starter hitting a ring gear of a siezed engine can break something.
Once I know the engine is not siezed, I let the MMO soak for a few days and maybe even add some and roll the engine over again. Let it soak a few days. Roll it over several times.
Next I'll do my dry and wet compression tests. The readings may (probably) be lower than original specs but may be high enough to get the engine to run. If the compression readings are close to equal, all the better.
Drain the gas tank and carburator and install fresh gas.
Make sure you have coolant, not just water.
Install new spark plugs and be sure firing order is correct.
If you get it to start, expect LOTS of smoke. Just clearing out the cylinders of all that oil you put in. Make sure you have oil pressure! If not, shut it down. Listen for any knock sounds. If you have oil pressure (5 pounds or more at idle) let the tractor warm up and even drive it around (if tires are holding air).
Now your work is cut out for you. Just me. I may have left something out but others will chime in and get me back on track. LOL

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]