Re: Rear fenders

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on January 01, 2020 at 10:05:37 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Rear fenders posted by Larry Gill on December 31, 2019 at 18:17:24:

Larry-
The fender bolts are not listed anywhere for a torque spec in any Ford manual because they aren't as critical as say a cylinder head. So then you need to reference the MPC and find the part number and then locate a torque spec chart like Richard(NY) says. There is a chart in the MISC subheading under HOW-TO's. In this case the fender bolts are p/n 22185-S7; 5/8-18 x 5-9/16" HEX HEAD BOLT; 4 req'd. S7 or S8 Ford specs equates to about a Grade 7 fastener. You can use Grade 5 with no problems but I prefer Grade 8. You do not need to torque the bolt either - your hands and socket & wrench works fine. But, since you asked, a 5/8-18 Grade 5 fastener spec is 170 FT/LBS and a Grade 8 of same size is 240 FT/LBS. NOTE: The fender bolts on the 1939 - early 1948 models use hex head bolts. In April, 1948 FORD changed to 5/8-18 x 6.12" Special Carriage Bolts. The fenders as well were changed and now had a square hole pierced on the axle shelf sheet metal to accept the carriage bolt square pilot. I believe the axle trumpet bosses were also changed to cast a square hole in. I'll need to research that further. My early 9N and early 8N have round holes and use hex head bolts. All early fenders have a round hole and will not work with a carriage bolt. You don't specify what model tractor you have so if buying new bolts, look before you buy. All fender bolts use a 5/8 Lockwasher and a 5/8-18 Hex Nut. ALSO: If you have or intend to use STABILIZER BARS, you'll need longer bolts, 7" should work, on the fenders for the brackets which fasten underneath the axle boss. We also have a HOW-TO's procedure for attaching stabilizer bars and setting the brackets. FORD used odd fractional bolt lengths that are no longer made in the industry so you won't find a 5-9/16" or a 6-1/8" length anymore. Nor are fine thread carriage bolts made in the industry any longer. The exception is Dennis Carpenter makes OEM bolts exact-as-original so you can get a set of the longer carriage bolts, p/n 355310-KIT, which includes the 4 bolts, the 4 lockwashers, and the 4 hex nuts. Fine thread Hex Bolts are still made but as stated above, you won't find the OEM length so will need to go longer; like a woodworker/carpenter or a seamstress, measure twice, cut[buy] once. You do not absolutely need to use the fine thread bolts -you CAN use the course thread (5/8-11) bolts of which carriage bolts are still made as well as hex head. The torque spec will change for the course fastener but as I said, a torque wrench is not needed for fender bolts -your call. FWIW: There is a proper procedure for applying a torque wrench; it's done in 3 steps.

Tim *PloughNman* Daley(MI)

*9N653I* & *8NI55I3*

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]