Re: Ford 8N tractor starter won't disengage, Positive Drive type

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on March 09, 2020 at 11:02:45 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Ford 8N tractor starter won't disengage, Positive Drive type posted by JMOR on March 09, 2020 at 04:16:33:

JMOR,

Quote: "...starter bendix problem has nothing to do with 6/12v..."

I believe what Tim is working his way towards with that question about "6 or 12" volts has to do with what I've been reading on repair forums, where everything changes and inertia can get thrown out of balance, when a 6 volt starter is spun by 12 volts, turning too fast with too much torque for optimal design parameters performance (try saying that three times fast! lol).

One remedy reported successfully implemented, was using part of a spring (from old starter Bendix) as a wire resistor, knocking the voltage down to the starter enough to where it would "inertia" close enough to design parameters to function reliably. This is pretty weird stuff when you consider that it happens to some people, others experienced no problems whatsoever. What could be behind this happening? Never cared much for mysteries, I prefer for things to make sense! :-) lol

Typically reported, older models of Ford 8N tractors didn't experience too much "whanging N banging" of Bendix drive VS ring gear-meshing dance with a 6 volt starter powered by 12 volts, but not so much with later model 8N's (could be why Tim's asking about side distributor, they were used on later model 8N's?). Not entirely clear why "later 8'ers" would experience more issues (unless something subtle had changed in parts sourced/manufacturing)?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]