Re: Ford 8N tractor starter won't disengage, Positive Drive type

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on March 10, 2020 at 08:31:55 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Ford 8N tractor starter won't disengage, Positive Drive type posted by JMOR on March 10, 2020 at 00:27:00:

A lot of older equipment was designed to last, constructed such that consumers could work on and repair items by themselves; whereas today, we're often dealing with engineered obsolescence.

When I was combing my way down through layers of problems on 8N tractor and obtaining necessary repair parts, I noticed that many of the aftermarket parts were of lesser quality/precision and flimsier/cheaper construction than OEM.

The replacement brass float was quite reasonably priced but I had to get some pliers and do a lot of reshaping/tweaking to get hinge pin to go through float and to fit properly.

It's necessary sometimes to utilize whatever replacement parts are available; in this case, original brass floats were leaking/filling with gas, had previously been soldered numerous times to repair spreading/enlarging cracks, and consequently solder added sufficient weight to render floats ineffective.

Henry Ford reportedly espoused the opinion that the Model T was perfect, needing no improvements, yet progress stands aside for no man, and few today would prefer a Model T over a MX-5 Miata.

So it is, we're dealing with improvements in old technology, whether we find that advantageous or not. Manufacturers have pretty much moved away from inertia Bendix, preferring solenoid activation instead.

I will be going through my Ford 8N starter Bendix today, and if I must replace it (as I have some other parts), it would not surprise me too much to find aftermarket replacements of lesser quality/reliability. Doubtless, one would prefer and expect to be better served by having an OEM repair part, but even good quality parts eventually wear and require replacement.

It is what it is: today one does what one may, using whatever's available with which to effect repairs.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]