My wife brought me a non-running 1949 8N 6 volt home for Christmas last year to go with my 1950 12 volt. I'm new to the 6 volt positive ground world. My issue is that the positive ground gets so hot it smokes and burns your thumb if you happen to think, oh, I need to disconnect that.
Work I have done. Replaced the coil with a 6volt coil, distrib cap and innards, rewired with a purchased harness and have checked the connections and diagram over and over. I put on a new resistor, I purchased a 6 volt battery and connected it just as it was when I got it and put in a new ignition key. It does have a functioning push button starter also.
I have yet to hook up the fuel to attempt to crank it, but I am getting spark to the plugs. But something is wrong for that ground to get so hot. What advice or trouble shooting tips do you have? It is a polarity issue?