Re: 8N rototiller fabrications

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on April 08, 2020 at 17:52:29 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: 8N rototiller fabrications posted by steveVa on April 08, 2020 at 16:00:57:

"Get a variable speed electric motor with a small but fat tire and use that small diameter tire to drive the rear tractor tire"

Interesting reply and intriguing suggestion :-)

I have seen electric bicycles set up such as you've described: a small electric motor turning a wheel which rubs on and pushes the bicycles tire 'round, but I must admit I never would have thought of applying concept to tractor. That is thinking outside the box! :-)

None doubt Ford 8N's 540 PTO capably powering rototiller's tines with sufficient power, problem comes in with too high of ground speed, where your method could certainly get around speed-restriction issues.

It's all about slowing tractor's speed down, while maintaining PTO speed and giving tiller tines sufficient time in performing their function.

With a walk-behind garden tiller, to keep tiller from taking off & "walking" across ground instead of tilling, you have a flip-down "leg" keeping tiller in place & forcing tines to remain in place so they do their job of digging/tilling/chopping. This is the phenomenon behind Bruce's #74 of "Tips for Ford 8N Tractor Owners" quote: "..sandy loose soil and putting the tractor in neutral and letting the tiller push the tractor."

I can conceive a number of applications maintaining slow ground speed desired, while PTO remaining at required 540 RPMs for rototiller usage, I just can't see any cost-effective way of doing it, versus purchasing a "good enough" used cultivating-spring-harrow (different names for this implement in different parts of country) that will get the job done. There's an old Russian proverb: "Perfect" is the enemy of "Good Enough."

Come to think of it, according to proverb, I'm so far from "perfect," I should have lots of "good enough" friends ;-) lol

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]