Re: 8N quick-disconnect loader planning

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TheOldHokie on April 11, 2020 at 09:23:30 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: 8N quick-disconnect loader planning posted by Brad on April 10, 2020 at 22:18:19:

You are not the first guy to discover his Dearborn loader is a Wagner. The WM series was a very popular loader with the N-series crowd. Heres a few more thoughts for you.

Quick connects for the attachment points should be no problem. Since you are going all in on this I suggest you research the design used on the Sauuder loaders and front blades - a drive in and out one pin hookup. A picture of the rear attaching socket that mounted under the differential is shown below. I had one of the loaders on my 9N and while it is a "quick detach" design the weight distribution and balance on it was a bear to deal with and not all that "quick" in practice. I am not trying to be negative about your idea but I think you are going to find that will be the major issue with the Wagner as well.

I notice you have made no mention of the hydraulic pump. Is your Wagner a fully hydraulic model with its own pump? If so you are going to have to deal with that as well. Wagner and Dearborn mounted their pumps to the loader frame and used the frame as the reservoir which means the pump has to come off with the loader. If I were going to go to the effort of making the loader QD I would remount that pump to the tractor and use the tractor's hydraulic sump for the oil supply. That way you can keave the pump and loader valve on the tractor and use them full time for auxiliary equipment and/or live hydraulics for the tractor.

One last word of advice - watch your fingers and toes. Right after I got the Sauder loader I was in the process of mounting it when it slipped off the floor jack I was using and dropped down trapping my fingers in the lift arm pinch point. I was thoroughly trapped, working in an isolated area, and unable to reach the jack to free myself. This was way before cell phones and the outcome could have been really bad had I not brought my 6 year old son with me. I was able to coach him on getting the jack back under the frame and raising it just enough to free my fingers. Fortunately nothing broken or severed but I couldn't use that hand for weeks and it took several months for the feelng to return to the fingers. So do be vigilant and watch where you put your hands!!!

TOH

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]