Re: 8N quick-disconnect loader planning

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ultradog MN on April 12, 2020 at 10:05:32 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: 8N quick-disconnect loader planning posted by Brad on April 12, 2020 at 06:54:02:

Next week I will have been on these boards for 19 years.
I've seen a lot of new guys come and go. For many people an N is the only tractor they will ever need or want as they are remarkable little machines that are capable of doing a lot of useful work.
I'm glad they've made the right choice for them
Then there are others who would like to improve an N and make it do more.
Live hydraulics is an example. There's enough interest that guys like Hokie sell a live hydraulic kit. You can add remote hydraulics to his kit which further improves the tractors capability.
Some have boosted an N's horsepower by one means or another.
Other improvements like power steering have been tried with some success. 12 Volts is a common improvement as is a position control kit or a drawbar hanger for the 9/2Ns
A tiller capable transmission (Howard) can be found for them.
Or a Sherman transmission to give them more gears.
But some things aren't going to be so easy; like live pto, differential lock, a more loader capable front end or superior brakes.
In the past week or so you've asked about making your N tiller capable and making a better loader for it.
I don't doubt that you could do both.
But I still say if you want those features at least consider buying a later tractor that had them from the factory.
You can have ALL of those things in one package and not be re engineering most every feature on the tractor. Believe me, there will still be lots of opportunity for noodling and tinkering and scheming and dreaming on a newer one but you'll start with a machine with all of those features designed to work with one another and not have them all grafted on like various afterthoughts. A later machine with those things would ultimately be cheaper too and in the end have a higher resale value. Resale is a priority to most of us here but...
I don't tell you this stuff because I don't value Ns. I tell you this because in 19 years I've seen a Lot of guys who were very enamored of Ns to begin with but were very glad to have updated to a newer machine when they finally did, myself included.
And we were very glad they left their N alone when it came to trading up.
Happy Easter to you and all here.
Jerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]