Re: 8N quick-disconnect loader planning

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ultradog MN on April 12, 2020 at 15:23:45 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: 8N quick-disconnect loader planning posted by Brad on April 12, 2020 at 10:33:56:

I hope you don't think I'm against making things, doing modifications to things and Jerry rigging stuff.
Making things work requires more thinking. And it's the thinking and problem solving part that perhaps we both enjoy.
Here's my current project. It's been keeping me entertained for a year now and collecting scarce parts for 4 years.
This tractor was a gasser with a Select O Speed transmission when I bought it. I hate those transmissions so I sold it and put an 8 speed in its place. Then I rebuilt the engine as a diesel.
Using some parts from a row crop model and some from an all purpose model required a lot of little things and locating hard to find parts.
Here are some photos of "the little things".
I drilled out the spot welds and changed the "bridge" to convert from a paper type gas air filter to the oil bath diesel filter in the radiator shroud.

Then welded the components into the gas nose.

Now the diesel air filter bolts in.

I also modified the gas battery tray to fit in a diesel tractor by removing 3" out of the center of it then welding it back together.

Then of course there were all the steering parts. Rebuilding the steering column required some Delrin bushings to replace the original ball bearings which are no longer available anywhere. Even my local bearing house couldnt get them.

And finding and modifying the tie rod ends for the power steering cylinders and having one chrome cylinder rod made cause it was bent and pitted.

It has all been a lot of fun and I'm hoping to have it running this summer.
Having a ready made, turn key thing just wouldn't be as much fun.
My only point in the previous posts were to start with a more capable tractor than an N.
But I know you're gonna do what you like anyway and I respect that too.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]